Monday, May 31, 2010

Stanley Cup: game one recap

By Scott Antoszewski


I remember thinking as I watched the Olympic hockey tournament back in February, “This is great hockey, I hope the NHL can live up to this level of hockey when it starts again.” Honestly, the last couple months of the season were entertaining, but not nearly as entertaining as the Olympic tournament… until Friday night.


Game One between the Flyers and the Blackhawks was the most entertaining game of the season in my opinion. The NHL needs more games like that to draw in new fans. The game was high paced, end to end, and full of excitement, especially offensive excitement, which is exactly what the league wants. The skill players got to show their stuff, we got to see Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, and Patrick Sharp lighting up both of the Flyers goaltenders. The Flyers responded with Daniel Briere, Simon Gagne and even Aaron Asham putting pucks past a rookie goalie, but came up just one goal short.


The old Chicago Stadium was nicknamed ‘The Madhouse on Madison’ and I noticed they put a sign up facing of the upper deck that read exactly that. The environment in that building was amazing, and I can only imagine how loud it must have been. The hockey fan in me was dying to be there, even though the ‘Hawks aren’t my team. The ‘Hawks sent almost 22,000 fans home happy. Personally, I can’t wait to see if game two is more of the same.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008