Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Memorable Memorial Day Weekend

By Dan Rodgers

This weekend there have been all kinds of exciting things happening in the NHL, NBA, and MLB. We'll start with hockey and work our way down the list.

NHL:

The Stanley Cup series is underway as the Chicago Blackhawks return to the Cup finals for the first time since '91-'92 and look for their first Stanley Cup championship in franchise history. The Flyers return to the Cup finals for the first time since '96-'97 and look for their first championship since '73-'74.

The Flyers have been a big surprise as they first upset the number two-seeded New Jersey Devils four games to one. Then, shocked everyone again and made history by coming down from being down three games to none against the Bruins and winning the series. The Flyers then only needed six games to cool down the very hot eight-seeded Montreal Canadiens in order to advance to the Cup.

The Blackhawks have been on fire and have just cruised through the playoffs as they have improved each series. They won the first series in six games, the second in five, before sweeping the number one-seeded Sharks. Game one took place on Saturday night and it was a fun one for the fans as it was full of offense. The Blackhawks gave the home team fans something to cheer about as they kept pace with the Flyers and won the always important game one 6-5.

NBA:

On Friday night, which is the weekend in my book, the Boston Celtics unfortunately closed out their series against the second-seeded Orlando Magic. The Celtics won the first three games before dropping the following two. They definitely didn't want to be the second Boston team in the past month to blow a three games to none lead so they just went ahead and won game six. They now advance to their second NBA Finals appearance in three years.

On Saturday night, which is most obviously the weekend, the L.A. Lakers went into Phoenix and beat the Suns with yet another 30+ point performance by Kobe Bryant. The L.A. Lakers advance to their third consecutive finals appearance and for a chance to defend their title. We will be witnessing a rematch of the 2008 NBA Finals when the Celtics defeated the Lakers in six games.

This Finals should be even better than 2008 as Kobe has been on a 30-point tear this post-season and is as hungry as ever for another ring. I have been watching more basketball than usual because I find the things Kobe does to be absolutely ridiculous. The guy makes some of the most amazing shots I've ever seen; ones LeBron couldn't make if he had 10 chances. Kobe is clearly the best basketball player of our era, and so far above LeBron it doesn't even seem fair. I understand they play different positions and I don't want to get into this right now, but Kobe is such a better offensive player and is a solid defender. He will win NBA Finals MVP...

MLB:

Ah, baseball...my first love. I know that most people don't give baseball any credit, but the people from Philadelphia got to see something very special on Saturday. Personally, I don't think they deserve it considering they way they have acted this season and in previous seasons.

Okay, I have beat around the bush long enough...if you didn't catch any ESPN this weekend, you didn't hear that Doc Halladay threw a perfect game against the Florida Marlins. That's right...absolute perfection (sounds like a good name for a brand of vodka). For me, there is no prettier thing in baseball...I mean just the sound of it...PERFECTION. It is impossible to acheive anything close in any other sport. A shutout in hockey? 20/20 in save chances...impressive but nothing out of the ordinary. Shooting 10/10 from the field in a basketball game...damn impressive, but still nothing too special. A perfect 158.3 QB rating in football...not too likely but still...just doesn't sound as good.

The reason I say that Phillies fans might not deserve it is because they have acted as bad this year as any other year. It is unbelieveable how they act, just click the link above. For them to behave the way they do, and then have the pleasure of watching a perfect game doesn't seem fair. I will speak for Yankee Nation, our fans might be obnoxious but we certainly don't act that bad. In fact, I will go as far as to lightly speak for Red Sox fans, or the few I know at least...

Not to mention, they have the pleasure of being graced by one of the greatest pitchers of our era... Harry Leroy Halladay III. Doc, as many call him, has been incredibly dominant this season...nothing out of the norm for him. The guy definitely deserves it more than anybody I can remember. He has owned the Yankees for as long as I can remember, formerly being a member of the Blue Jays, and I was more than overjoyed for him the leave not only my division but the American League all together. Regardless...this guy is incredible, a Hall of Famer if he retired tomorrow, and a classy guy. I hate him because he's so good but you've got to love him.

Rodgers That

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008