Friday, June 11, 2010

Blackhawks are Stanley Cup Champs

By Scott Antoszewski

Blackhawks 4 Flyers 3 OT

Blackhawks win series 4-2

The Blackhawks have won the Stanley Cup for the first time in 49 years. Game six was a back and forth, tightly contested affair, much like the previous five games. The Flyers played with much grit and determination again, and even managed to force overtime with a goal late in the third period. The Blackhawks were just the better team, and they proved it in overtime.


Goalie Antti Niemi stood on his head for the last ten minutes of regulation. One save in particular was especially impressive on Mike Richards from point-blank range. The overtime game winner was scored by Patrick Kane a little more than five minutes into the overtime period. Kane put a sweet head fake on Philly defensemen Kimo Timmonen and drove to the net, a lot like another Chicago legend drove to the basket in the early 90’s. The shot slipped under Leighton’s stick and pads and stuck under the pad that goes around the inside of the net. Kane knew the puck was in immediately, as did Patrick Sharp. Everyone else, including the game’s broadcasters and other players had no idea the Cup had just been won. Kane streaked down the ice shedding his gloves and stick as he did. It took about a minute for the goal to become “official”, but once the players saw the puck in the goal, the party was on.


It was a surreal ending. I was watching on TV and I remember looking up as I heard Mike “Doc” Emerik start to say the word “score”, but he too lost the puck and continued the call for a couple of extra seconds. There was no controversy after seeing the overhead replay. It was clearly a good goal.


I talked to a teammate of mine last night, and found out the feeling of confusion that was in the Wachovia Center last night was mainly due to the fact that the Flyers never showed a single replay of the game winning goal. No goal light came on, nothing. He said he saw Kane shoot the puck and then gear was everywhere. Folks in the rink were very confused. Overall though, the Philly faithful were respectful and well behaved during the post-game ceremonies. I saw some towels get thrown on the ice, but not a lot. They booed Gary Bettman, the NHL Commissioner, but everyone boos the commissioner. It’s like booing a politician. Jonathan Tows won the Conn Smythe Trophy for the MVP of the playoffs. Patrick Kane had better numbers but Toews is the captain of the Hawks, so he’s going to get more votes.


The Flyers have nothing to be ashamed of. I know it’s very easy for me to sit here and type that, but think about it. They were one shootout goal away from not even making the playoffs, next they were down three games to none to the Bruins, only to get down three to nothing in game seven of that series. The Flyers never quit, and proved that “History will be made” was the correct slogan for this year’s playoffs. Their run was magical and most of their fans know it.


Overall, the series was a lot of fun to watch. It wasn’t an epic, nor will it be compared to the best series of all time, but I believe it brought more new people to the game. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the game on NBC. Weeknight games had been traditionally carried by Versus as NBC didn’t want to take the ratings hit. It got good overnight ratings too, especially the overtime.


Lastly, I have thoroughly enjoyed writing about hockey for this blog since I started a few months ago, and thank Dan for the opportunity. Thank you for taking the time to read it. I’m looking forward to writing about some other sports as the summer and fall go on, and then getting back in to Hockey in the fall. Congrats to the Blackhawks….but look out for the Caps in 2011!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008