Thursday, February 11, 2010

NFL Awards Review

By Dan Rodgers

Here's a pretty little number on the 2009 NFL Awards and how I feel about them...

NFL MVP: QB Peyton Manning - IND
Manning won MVP in a landslide by taking 39 1/2 out of 50 points. Drew Brees was in second with a measly 7 1/2 points. I find it criminal that Chris Johnson did not receive any votes. Even though Brees and Manning led their teams to 13-0 marks, Johnson broke the NFL record for yards from scrimmage which included 2,006 rushing. Johnson is only the sixth rusher in NFL history to eccplise the 2,000 yard mark. I also believe that Brees was a more important asset to his team and had to accomplish more because the Colts have shown domination in the recent past. But congrats to Peyton for his fourth, only player in history to have won four MVP's.

NFL OROY: WR (R)Percy Harvin - MIN
I can't disagree with Percy winning the award, however, I do disagree with the list of votes and the landslide Harvin won in. I might be a little bit biased, but I feel like since Mark Sanchez led his team to the playoffs he deserved at least one vote. Harvin finished with 41 votes, Ravens LT Michael Oher finished in second with six votes. Jeremy Maclin, Knowshon Moreno and Mike Wallace all received a single vote. Percy had six receiving touchdowns, two return touchdowns and was selected to the pro bowl.

NFL DROY: OLB (R)Brian Cushing - HOU
The only thing I don't like about the way this award played out is that Brian Orakpo only received two votes. He had 11 sacks and made the pro bowl. I think his season was overshadowed by an absolutely embarrassing Redskins season. Cushing did have an impressive season, also getting elected to the pro bowl with over 80 tackles, five sacks and four picks.

NFL OPOY: RB Chris Johnson - TEN
Chris Johnson had an incredible, MVP worthy season, but for some reason he did not receive a single vote. He rightly earned offensive player of the year, but I would think that due to that and his breaking records he would be considered for MVP. I completely agree with this award, but I think that Johnson got screwed out of MVP consideration...that's my only beef.

NFL DPOY: CB Charles Woodson - GB
I am not going to pull a Rex Ryan, but I do believe that Darrelle Revis is the best cornerback in the NFL and had a much better season. Woodson was impressive with 80-plus tackles, three touchdowns, 21 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and was tied for the league lead in interceptions with nine. While all those stats are incredibly impressive, one "stat" that doesn't really exist is how well the opposing receiver does against you. Woodson constantly would give up big plays to his opposition. Revis faced the best receivers in the game (Moss, Owens, Colston, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Ochocinco, Roddy White, and Reggie Wayne) and shut every single one of them down. Not to mention he had 32 passed defensed and six interceptions. Oh and by the way, Revis' team is still in the playoffs because of good defense, and the Packers are eliminated because of record-setting bad pass defense.

NFL Comeback Player of the Year: QB Tom Brady - NE
This is kind of an easy one because he was an MVP candidate before he got injured, and now that he is back to relatively full strength it seems like it would be an easy choice. However, take nothing away from Cadillac Williams and Cedric Benson because they had great years. All-stars coming back from injury are easy choices for this award...nothing else to say.

NFL Coach of the Year: Marvin Lewis - CIN
This was fairly clear cut even though the Jets had a rookie head coach and rookie quarterback and made the playoffs, beating Lewis and his Bengals. The Texans also had their first above .500 year, but that is only a one game improvement from last year. If Josh McDaniels and the Broncos didn't choke at the end of the year, going 2-6 in their last eight, then he would have been a prime candidate for this award. Not to mention Sean Payton and Jim Caldwell did phenomenal jobs with the Colts and Saints, considering they meet in the Super Bowl. Congrats Lewis, the Bengals had an impressive year even through all of the tragedy.

NFL Super Bowl MVP: Drew Brees - NO
If you even watched the Super Bowl you would know that the only other player that could be considered for the award is Tracy Porter because he had what ended up being the game-clinching pick-6. However, Brees was responsible for giving the Saints the lead at that point and was sensational for the entire game. He also tied the record for most completions in the Super Bowl with 32. (Super Bowl XXXVIII)

Rodgers That

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008