Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Superstitious? Well...

By Dan Rodgers

A lot of people are superstitious. Some people believe in things that pertain to their religion and some people just have certain habits that work for them. The postseason for professional sports is a time when many people get superstitious. Some athletes wear the same underwear, some have the same pregame ritual or eat the same food.

Fans have it a little differently because we don't play the game. This NFL season the Jets were 12-0 when I wore my Wayne Chrebet #80 jersey and they were 0-5 when wearing my personalized jersey, Leon Washington or Santana Moss. (Yes, every player's jersey I have is no longer with the team)

For the game against the Pats, I went to get ready and couldn't find my Chrebet jersey. I realized I had left it at my girlfriend's place after doing laundry. I resorted to wearing my Leon jersey because his team was also playing. As you know the Jets won the game, but my girlfriend showed up to the bar in the Chrebet jersey.

I am leaving for Las Vegas in eight hours and I didn't pack my Leon jersey. Basically, I've determined that clothing superstitions aren't worth it but are fun to think about. HOWEVER, I have yet to shave and I absolutely refuse to do so until the Jets are out. Last year I didn't shave but I had to go to Memphis for a Bar Mitzvah. So my mother made me shave and the Jets lost their next game (AFC Championship game to Colts).

In the end: keep your playoff beard no matter what. Don't shave it for your job, your girl, your family or anything else you could possibly think of. Anything else you want to believe, go for it but it might not be worth it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008