Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tebow to Jets, Why You Ask?

By Dan Rodgers

The Jets have officially traded for former Florida Gators savior Tim Tebow. I'm hearing that the Jets gave up a 2012 fourth and sixth round pick for Tim Tebow and a 2012 seventh round pick.

This move initially made zero sense to me. The Jets just gave Mark Sanchez a three-year extension to show their faith in him as the starting QB. Bringing in Tebow could have been done because the Jets want Sanchez to feel more pressure to perform instead of coasting because Mark Brunell was the second string QB. However, WR Jeremy Kerley played well last season as a rookie Wildcat QB.

Tebow needs to understand that he is not the starting QB of the New York Jets. He is a proven winner and leader, but he needs to understand this is Sanchez's team. One issue with this move is the impact it will have on the locker room. Sanchez is in the process of becoming the leader and needs to demand the respect of the team, and Tebow joining the team might hinder that process and cause Sanchez to lose some of the team that likes Tebow.

As I've said in the past, I do not like Tebow. I think he is a phenomenal athlete, leader and winner, but I think he is an absolutely terrible NFL QB. My opinion on this trade will be determined by how the Jets use Tebow during the season. If they want him to be a change-of-pace Wildcat QB, or they change him to be an H-back/tight end, I would be OK with the trade. I said before he was drafted that Tebow should be switched to another position to fully utilize his abilities and hopefully the Jets do that.

The biggest reason I dislike the trade right now is because of the issues the media will bring throughout the season. If Sanchez gets hurt, or struggles early in the season, the media and all of Tebow's followers will be calling for him to start like they did in Denver. The media could be the primary reason that this trade doesn't work out.

If Sanchez can live up to the hype and respond to the pressure by winning and the Jets use Tebow correctly, this COULD work out OK. But I have my doubts...

Not to mention, in my opinion Sean Payton getting suspended for the entire season, among the other punishments that the Saints got, is way bigger news than Tebow to the Jets.

Only time will tell if this trade isn't a bust, but all I know is that I wish the Jets were on HBO's Hard Knocks this summer.

Rodgers That

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008