Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Fastest Two Minutes In Sports

By Dan Rodgers

Taking place this past Saturday, the Kentucky Derby often is known by the headline above. The field of 19 horses (Uncle Mo was scratched) was led by 5-1 favorite Dialed In.

However, the favorite to win the Derby finished eighth. 20-1 underdog Animal Kingdom won the Derby 137 with an incredible stretch run. The remarkable story behind the horse is that the original jockey was injured so John Velazquez rode Animal Kingdom in the Derby. It was Velazquez's thirteenth Derby and first victory.

A Lost Art

In a little over a week, Animal Kingdom will make his way to Baltimore to compete in Preakness 136. Preakness, one of Baltimore's historic events, is at Pimlico Race Track. The "sport" (for lack of a better term) has been struggling in recent years, Pimlico has seen a decrease in wagering and non-wagering revenue.

When speaking with bettors at Pimlico, the one thing that kept coming up was the need to get younger people interested in racing. Upon my first visit to the track, I could feel the history sweeping over me. It was a beautiful day and the horses were just gorgeous. I'll be at Preakness 136 working for CBS Radio Baltimore, and I can't wait to experience such a historic event.

I plan on going back to Pimlico over the summer and hopefully get myself and friends more interested.

Rodgers That

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008