Thursday, April 28, 2011

NFL Draft

By Dan Rodgers

This will be a quickie considering there is less than ten minutes until the Panthers should be on the clock (8 p.m. on ESPN).

I have been hearing time after time that this draft class is overrated at the quarterback position, and I couldn't agree more with that statement. First of all, there is no consensus No. 1 overall pick, not to mention a lack of elite talent.

According to Mel Kiper, Patrick Peterson, LSU CB, is the best player in the draft. However, that doesn't necessarily mean he will be the No. 1 overall pick (no CB has ever gone No. 1). I expect, because NFL franchises are often stupid, the No. 1 pick to be Cam Newton.

If I'm running the Panthers I easily look for the player I think is the most talented and draft BPA (Best Player Available, which is everyone). Carolina will most likely be the worst team in the league next year and will have the No. 1 pick again. Andrew Luck will be coming out of Stanford and be available to draft. This way, Carolina can get their franchise QB next year, and a highly talented player at a position of need this year.

Cam Newton is a high-risk high-reward player. He is obviously talented, but will those talents transfer to the NFL level? I won't be the guy that says no and have Newton become the next Donovan McNabb, or say yes and have him become the next Akili Smith.

As far as everyone else...I'm not as well versed this year compared to last year. I don't know why, maybe it's the lack of talent this year. Expect a lack of excitement as well because players cannot be traded, only picks for picks.

However, I do expect a lot of moving around, particularly because there are teams that will look to move up from early second round to late first round.

I'll come back after the draft and talk about any surprises. Enjoy!

Rodgers That

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008