Friday, September 3, 2010

Umpires getting power hungry?

By Dan Rodgers

It seems like every MLB game that I turn on, at some point a coach or player is getting ejected from the game. Whether it be a questionable call in the field or arguing balls and strikes at the plate, players and coaches can't seem to finish games.

Just the other day, Chicago White Sox Manager Ozzie Guillen was ejected by the first-base umpire. I was watching the game, and to be completely honest with you, I couldn't figure out why he was ejected. Typically, managers are screaming in the face of the umpire and probably shouting fairly rude things. However, I couldn't really make out what Guillen had said and he wasn't half way out to first base before he was thrown out.

Umpires have also been uncharacteristically terrible this season. The blown perfect game call (pictured on the right) was the absolute worst, but umpires just seem to not know the strike zone.

Basically, I just wanted to get across my point that I feel like MLB umpires are taking too much control of the game. Their calls shouldn't be so controversial as to possibly change the aspect of the game. All this is doing is backing up the potential need for instant replay in baseball. Personally, I don't really want replay because human error is part of the game (just like NFL and NBA). BUT if the umps are going to continue to be as bad as they've been...bring on the replays.

Rodgers That

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008