A post for JP
By Dan Rodgers
This post is for my boss at Towson University, JP. He asked me about my blog and such but wanted to know when I was going to start writing more about football. So here it is, a football post just for him...who knows if he'll see it.
I figured I would touch on a few things, including: the preseason and the potential of an 18-game season.
We'll start with the preseason. Week one is over and I enjoy reading various opinions about the "experts" posts. So many people comment and say that preseason is completely worthless and
you can't take anything from it. I think those people couldn't be more wrong. I mean I don't like the preseason, but you can certainly learn a lot from it.
Players don't just go into the games and not try at all. These are, for the most part, world class athletes and they always want to win and do their best. For example, in the Jets/Giants game, I learned that the Jets don't have a lot of depth in their secondary. However, the run defense was great, even the backups played well up front.
In general, as long as it is the first team offense against the first team defense, you can get an idea of how your team is performing.
On to the idea of an 18-game season...I HATE it...
First off, an 18-game season would immediately shatter every record (good and bad) in the entire book. Passing yards, rushing yards, receiving yards, touchdowns, sacks, interceptions, tackles, receptions, etc. Personally, I like the fact that the legends of years ago have records that the stars of today and trying to break.
Not to mention, it would most likely never get approved by the NFL Players Association. The players would have shorter careers with two more games each season, their bodies would take more of a beating, and teams would rest players for more games (skew playoff seeding more).
Basically, people hate the preseason and if they have to pay for the tickets, they want to see games that matter. I think a better solution would be a light scrimmage or two, two preseason games, and the regular 16-game season. People spend less on their tickets with two less preseason games, and the players are happy that the season stays the same.
If something drastic changes, watch out for another post...because it will be a hot topic in the NFL the entire season.
Rodgers That
0 comments:
Post a Comment