Brock Lesnar completed one of the most difficult comebacks in recent memory on Saturday night as he took on Shane Carwin in Las Vegas at UFC 116.Lesnar, the reigning heavyweight champion, hadn’t fought in over a year and was hospitalized with a hole in his intestine that was leaking into his body.There were questions as to if Lesnar would survive, much less fight again.
Brock not only made a full recovery, but he got back to training and got back in the octagon on Saturday night.Lesnar’s opponent was interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin.Carwin was 12-0 and had NEVER been taken out of the first round. Lesnar damn near fell victim to Carwin early as his lack of experience almost cost him as Carwin rocked him and dove on him early in the fight.
Lesnar did just enough defending to keep the referee satisfied and eventually emerged from underneath a worn out Carwin.It was at that point that we all knew that Carwin was in trouble.It didn’t take long into the second round before Carwin was on the ground and Lesnar submitted him with an arm-bar. The heavyweight title had been successfully defended.
I’ve seen Brock Lesnar fight three times, and all three times he looked dominant.I honestly don’t know who in the UFC can beat him. He’s only going to get better as he gets more experienced. I’m looking forward to see where he goes from here.
The rest of the fight card was exceptional.It was the first time in a long time that I can remember all of the fights, including the free prelims, being entertaining.There were knockouts, submissions, and judges decisions.You can’t ask for more than that.
UFC 117 will be held on Aug. 7 from Oakland, California.
Note from Dan: I got to watch some of the fight and I thought for damn certain Carwin had the fight in hand when he was pounding Brock into the ground. However, that was clearly not the case.
P.S. Did you know Brock Lesnar tried out for the Minnesota Vikings but got cut?
Hey Dan, thanks for the note. Good stuff. I did know that he tried out for the Vikings, and after watching him progress as an MMA fighter, I have to believe he could have been successful at football had he been given more time to learn it. I've never been a huge Lesnar fan, but you can't help but root for a guy who had to deal with the adversity he has in the last year. I honestly don't think there is anyone in the heavyweight division that can beat him. It's kinda scary.
1 comments:
Hey Dan, thanks for the note. Good stuff. I did know that he tried out for the Vikings, and after watching him progress as an MMA fighter, I have to believe he could have been successful at football had he been given more time to learn it. I've never been a huge Lesnar fan, but you can't help but root for a guy who had to deal with the adversity he has in the last year. I honestly don't think there is anyone in the heavyweight division that can beat him. It's kinda scary.
Post a Comment