Round One Review
By Dan Rodgers
This is just a short review of the first 32 picks:
- Rams - QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma: I do not like this pick at all. The Rams could have gotten a proven QB if they traded for Big Ben...but they decided to spend the first pick on an unproven injury prone QB, enough said. This pick is weak sauce.
- Lions - DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska: I love this pick. The Lions stole Suh considering he should have gone first overall. I think he is the best player in the draft.
- Bucs - DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma: This seems like an obvious pick. The Bucs needed to beef up their defense, and it was either between McCoy or Eric Berry. McCoy is a great athlete for his size, good pick.
- Redskins - OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma: A bit surprising here. Many people had Russell Okung as the best tackle. Whatever, at least they made the right decision and took an offensive lineman and not a QB.
- Chiefs - SS Eric Berry, Tennessee: Another obvious pick. I think Berry is the second most talented player behind Suh. Berry should be a playmaker for years to come.
- Seahawks - OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma State: I think he is the best tackle in the draft and the Hawks tackle for the next 10 years. Solid pick.
- Browns - CB Joe Haden, Florida: Eh, I think Haden is overrated. His 40-time at the combine was part of that. However, that is why they are the Browns, we'll see...
- Raiders - LB Rolando McClain, Alabama: Many experts said the Raiders finally made a good pick, I thought whoever went there just happened to suck...whatever I don't even care.
- Bills - RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson: Ugh, the Bills are awful and I feel terrible for Spiller because he is a monster. I certainly don't want the Jets to face him because he is so ridiculously talented, but now the Bills have three backs?
- Jaguars - DE Tyson Alualu, California: Many thought he was taken early considering he was projected second round, but this guy is definitely talented. The Jags saw something in him and needed defense badly since they play offenses like Houston and Indy.
- 49ers (from Bears, through Broncos) - OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers: The 49ers definitely need to start protecting whatever QB they start because they are developing a talented offense. Good for them.
- Chargers (from Dolphins) - RB Ryan Matthews, Fresno State: A very intriguing pick. Many people thought the Bolts would take a running back, but many didn't expect them to trade up. For Matthews nonetheless. Especially considering Jahvid Best was taken after San Diego's original pick.
- Eagles (from 49ers, through Broncos) - DE Brandon Graham, Michigan: I love this pick by Philly. Soon after trading for Ernie Sims the Eagles continue to focus on defense. Graham is being compared to Dwight Freeney, enough said.
- Seahawks (from Broncos) - SS Earl Thomas, Texas: I thought this might have been a bit of a stretch because Thomas was projected closer to 20, but I love this guy. He looks extremely talented, and the Hawks definitely made two good picks in the first round.
- Giants - DE Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida: I think this pick means that the G-Men will look to shop Osi. Hmm, would be an interesting twist. I like this guy; he can do a lot of back flips...that's awesome.
- Titans - DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech: I think the Titans simply felt that this guy shouldn't be available and he is the best available, so they took him. Fine with me.
- 49ers (from Panthers) - OG Mike Iupati, Idaho: I like this pick. The 49ers took two offensive lineman and continue to show their willingness to beef up the offense. Good stuff Coach Singletary.
- Steelers - C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida: This is the only center I've heard of in the draft. I don't even remember who the Steelers center is, so they clearly need one.
- Falcons - LB Sean Witherspoon, Missouri: Witherspoon is a solid backer who can help an up and coming ATL defense.
- Texans - CB Kareem Jackson, Alabama: Taken ahead of some other d-backs who I felt were better. I guess that's why I'm not getting paid to make these decisions...
- Bengals - TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma: Not too much to say besides I'm glad that they took him so the Pats couldn't. Good enough for me.
- Broncos (from Patriots) - WR Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech: This guy was taken above Dez Bryant, I guess that means that Dez has enough off the field issues it is not worth the hassle...sucks for him.
- Packers - OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa: Protecting their new hotshot QB sounds like a good idea to me. A-Rod is a stud for years to come, and they need to protect their biggest asset and this guy will do it for the next 10 years.
- Cowboys (from Eagles, through Broncos and Patriots) - WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State: The best receiver in the draft slipped pretty fair. Fair enough for Jerry Jones to jump in and snag him before the Ravens could.
- Broncos (from Ravens) - QB Tim Tebow, Florida: This was kind of a surprise. Tebow should have gone in the third round, but for some reason his stock kept rising higher and higher. And now we know the Broncos were dumb enough to trade up for him, before even Colt McCoy and Jimmy Clausen. This pick is weak sauce.
- Cardinals - DT Dan Williams, Tennessee: Um, they still have Darnell Dockett so I don't understand this. I was thinking defensive back...but what do I know.
- Patriots (from Cowboys) - CB Devin McCourty, Rutgers: This is a very interesting pick. I thought Kyle Wilson was the best corner, but everyone else seems to disagree beccause he still hasn't been taken. Pats need to get younger in the secondary, and that's what they're doing.
- Dolphins (from Chargers) - DT Jared Odrick, Penn State: I love this guy, which is why I'm not happy the Fins got him. I would have loved for him to be a Jet. He is a versatile player and is built like a truck.
- Jets - CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State: I think this guy is the best corner in the draft, but he is the fourth taken. Lucky for the Jets or other people know something we don't? And why didn't they take Taylor Mays? I thought Safety was a more pressing need? Well, at least we have very solid corners!
- Lions (from Vikings) - RB Jahvid Best, California: Interesting move for Detroit considering Best had that horrific concussion and missed the end of the season. I thought Detroit had decent running backs and should have gone defense here.
- Colts - OLB Jerry Hughes, TCU: This is another guy I like who the Jets could have taken. He will bring some youth to the Colts d-line and learn from some of the best.
- Saints - CB Patrick Robinson, Florida State: Another awkward pick. I thought they would go safety and not worry about Sharper or QB to learn from the 30+ year-old Brees. Once again, clearly I know nothing.
Well, that sums up round one. Look for two and three on Saturday. Gotta love the start to the 2010 NFL season.
Rodgers That
0 comments:
Post a Comment